
I am trying out uploading an image to the blog. It was not as hard as I thought it would be.
So here is a picture of my first fruits of our little farm. It is a lemon. From looking at my farm picture you wouldn't think I could grow something so semi-tropical. I have been trying to get several houseplants to produce for me. I have a pomegranate, a lemon, an orange (which makes tiny fruit more like a kumquat, and sour as a lemon) and a fig. I may get a lime tree, but I think all I can get is a key lime.
Yet, growing citrus, even as houseplants, may be more trouble than they are worth. They take lots of fertilizer, and I have to bring them in when it is cold (for they spent the summer in our greenhouse) and they really don't like overwintering in my hot, dry house. Perhaps if we ever build a sun-room it will be a nice place to keep the fruit trees. One more bad thing about lemons is that this variety, which is a Meyer lemon, takes 9 months to ripen. On such a small tree with so few fruits we aren't going to get a really large or sustaining harvest.
No comments:
Post a Comment