Friday, March 6, 2015

Learning to Read

Everett is ready to read.  He recognizes most of the letters, and knows some of their sounds, so it is time to teach him to read.  I've taught 4 kids to read now, but each time it seems like I have to relearn how to do it.  Especially with the 6 year gap between Everett and Cedric.

I bought a moveable alphabet this week (oops, I didn't quite get all the letters in right, and there are many more letters included). . I have wanted one for a while for teaching reading and writing. Everett and I played with it last night.  He loved the little "i" with it's separate dot. He pulled all the "i's" out and put them in a row and said "i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i."  He hasn't learned the "i" sound yet, but he has learned m,c,a,b,t and d.  I keep trying to see if he can put them together (I have to tell the other kids NOT to read it for him), so I will line up C-A-T and have him sound out the letters.  He doesn't quite get that they actually form a real word.  That will come.


No comments:

Post a Comment