
I have started working on re-doing our 72 hour kits-- or bug-out bags as some people call them. Previously we just had a bunch of food stashed in a tote that we could haul with us in our car, but I am changing that to individual backpacks. We have 3 nice backpacking packs that we are going to use while they are not in use for backpacking, and then I bought some nice school size bags for the kids at the DI thrift store yesterday for $2 each-- what a bargain. I am going to get some kind of rolling tote for the baby stuff so if we have to walk then we can carry it or roll it.

Yesterday we also shopped for the food. I found a pretty good list that we are going to use to put our kit together here. I bought the food they suggested and just put mine in large ziplocks instead of milk jugs as they suggested. They ended up being about 4 lbs for the food alone. I may have to modify to lighten it (fewer cans-- more dehydrated) either way we will have weight with water. I haven't figured out how to do the water. We do have a backpacking water filter which will come in handy.
I will update as we get them going, and also add pictures later. I want to have them all finished by July.
No comments:
Post a Comment