Monday, June 6, 2011

Projects





I have several projects going on right now, at least in my head I do. I am going to try to blog my progress on here so it actually looks like I am doing something and throw in some pictures now and again for the people who only come to look at pictures. (It's ok, I do it too sometimes.)

So here are my projects:

Preparedness For reasons I have become privy to, I feel a pressing need to get my food storage in place. So I have been working on doing that. I printed out a food storage calculator with all the stuff I need to get and have been steadily buying up the things I need. First I bought all of the Wheat I need, and now I have beans and sugar coming on Friday in a big bulk order. I need to find some more buckets. I have also been buying Olive oil and peanut butter.

Home School Because the preparedness bug has hit, I figured we would do a little homeschool adventure based on the Pioneers. I want the kids to have an inquiry and a project each week. Our first inquiry is going to be "How far did the Pioneers travel across the plains, and what did they pack in their wagons?" I am going to research it myself. Some projects we might do are

Outdoor Cooking
Wild food foraging
Herbs and Medicine
Dress and Quilt making
Basket weaving
Making Cheese
Laundry outdoors
Making candles, soap or lotions
Packing and hauling wagons or handcarts

Then we can have some historical field trips to Chesterfield or the pioneer village in Salt Lake, or camping to practice our outdoor cooking skills.

We are just lacking in some good pioneer literature to read. I wasn't impressed with any of Deseret Book's selection. Anyone have any suggestions?

Enjoy pictures of our trip to American Falls yesterday. The river was really roaring! I was able to identify 3 plants. Cleavers, poison ivy and golden currants. I think I found burdock, but I didn't dare take any because I was not sure if that was what it was. I read that it is edible. More research on that one. Anyone want to munch on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment