
I have been thinking about schedules lately. They seem to be a bit non-existent in my house. I have tried for years to make up perfect schedules, but I am the one who does not want to follow them. I get distracted and do something different than planned. It is fun, but I usually regret it later when something does not get done when needed. I have tried making very rigid schedules, and very loose schedules. Neither seem to work. Sometimes I get going on a good schedule and leave the rest of my family behind. Then I get a little sore that they won't stay on my schedule. It is frustrating.

As I have explored into different home schooling philosophies, I have looked a little into Waldorf education. There is something that strikes me as a good thing from their methods. It is living life in a rhythm. There are many different rhythms to life. One rhythm that I seem to keep well is our morning rhythm. I love to read my scriptures in the morning and get that boost to my day. Then we usually have breakfast and take care of our animals, and then do the daily chores.
We have a weekly rhythm. Sundays are of course the Sabbath; Mondays are Family home evening. Fridays we have a fun movie night, and Saturdays are a big work day or big play day.

With having animals and gardens I am learning seasonal rhythms. Spring for planting, autumn to harvest. Summer brings us bounties of the garden, and our meals are full of vegetable goodness. Winter is a time to stay in and be cozy. I make a lot of soup in winter. A lot of my rhythms center around food.
Life has a rhythm too. I recently read a book that talked about tribal cultures, and they went through the role of each tribal member. Youngest children were for practice for the older children, Older children were for examples to the younger. Parents had their duties and responsibilities, and would still look to their elders for guidance. The Grandparents were the teachers of the children and would share histories and pass on the stories of their tribe. It is a beautiful thought.

My goal for my family is to get into some good (you could say celestial) rhythms. I want us to be living our lives purposefully. I really shy away from useless and wasteful practices. Our music, our food, our parties, our school-- I don't want to waste it. Life is much too precious.
Pictures: Just some random photos. Top is a big mushroom I found in our yard. The bottom photo is a picture of our elf shoes-- a bit of a waste of money as Cedric's already have holes.
No comments:
Post a Comment